Well hello there! Happy vacation week! Vacation you ask? Yep. It’s public school vacation week, so I’ve had the week off. Lots of Olympics, sleeping, running, baking, and yes some job searching as well. Oh and eating in the dining hall too…everyone else on campus is still in classes (which is weird) but I’ve been taking the time to catch up with friends at meals.
As I mentioned yesterday, I went out on a long run Thursday, since it’s supposed to rain today. The sun was shining and it was beautiful (and warm!) but the first 5 or 6 miles were like running in deep sand because of all the snow and slush…not so fun. Because of that, and having to jump out of the way of cars, my time was the slowest yet, but that’s okay by me. I’m just trying to focus on distance, fueling, and getting some long run experience under my belt, and not worrying too much about time. Usually I’m all for number crunching, and so letting go of that hasn’t been the easiest, but as I’m tackling a new (to me) distance, that’s made it easier to focus just on finishing. Anyways, I could ramble about running all day :) So to spare you, here’s my five things friday, thanks to Clare!
Five Things From My Run:
1) ”Weather Today: God reigns, Son shines” – saw this outside a church – so clever :)
2) Lime Sublime Gu – bought a case of it yesterday, so I’d better not hate it until after April 21st…
3) At one point I decided my run could only be better if I had a personal sidewalk plow in front of me…running in soft snow is the worst, and I have a feeling my calves will be feeling it tomorrow
4) At one point I thought someone hit me with a snowball, and I began to look around, but then I realized it was snow falling off a tree…oops
5) MapMyRun and my watch were not on the same page mileage-wise…has anyone else had that problem? 17 miles turned 18 miles…I’m not going to complain too much. But really 18 miles?! If I can run that, it’s proof you can do anything you set your mind to. Also, it really makes 26 seem doable…”only” 8.2 more to go! And yes, don’t worry I have the utmost respect for 26.2 – as much as I say it feels doable, it’s a LONG way!
1) The moving heart tribute in the ski half pipe
2) Russia vs. USA hockey – what an incredible game!
3) US men’s bobsled and their genuine happiness
4) The mom who won skeleton!
5)Nordic skiing – so glad they’ve shown at least some of this – biathlon was crazy if anyone else saw it.
6) Oh and the fact that women’s ski jumping was in the Olympics for the first time!
Five Things I’ve Made:
1) These amazing almond fudge protein bars – the batch I made on Monday is already gone…no shame. But seriously, you should make them! (amanda’s photo)
2) Muffins that I unfortunately didn’t measure out ingredients for – banana, applesauce, vanilla, greek yogurt, oats, raisins, wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda
3) Annie’s Instant Mac and Cheese…with peas. Again, no shame :)
4) Chocolate chip cookies…the BEST recipe coming soon to a blog near you :) But actually, my friend xc skied over the other night, we had tea, made cookies, and watched Olympics – it was beautiful.
5) Banana bread (no surprise here – I’m kind of known for it in my dorm) – I’ll be bringing this in the car to the winter triathlon I’m doing this weekend – more details to come!
Five things I want to make:
1) Pumpkin Nutella Brownies - these are AMAZING, a friend made them for me and I can’t wait to make them myself
2) Flourless Brownies
3) Almond Fudge Protein Bars (again…I just have to buy more nutbutter!)
4) Cucumber Noodles with Peanut Sauce
5) Taco Bean Dip!